The 13th Irish Conference on Game-Based Learning will be held online this year on 29th and 30th June 2023, and host over 25 presentations from international speakers on the benefits and uses of games for learning, motivation, and change.
Early Bird tickets are available for 1 week only here, and will give you access to teh full conference events, and some bonus content too.
Just a quick update to let you know that the book Unity from Zero to Proficiency (Foundations) has been updated:
- All screen-shots and explanations have been updated to be fully compatible with Unity 2022
The Standard Asset project used has been updated to be full fully compatible with Unity 2022
- For those of you who want to get started with 2D easily, the standard assets also include 2D assets (sprites, animations, etc) that you can use to move your 2D animated character.
You can get your free update by refreshing your Kindle reader using these steps:
If you have downloaded the book from my site (pdf) then just send me an email with your receipt, and full name, and I will send you the updated book ASAP.
If you have used Unity 2018 or previous versions of Unity, you may remember the standard assets included that made your life much easier when it came to prototype a new game; amongst other things, they included vehicles, character cameras, controllers, or water.
These are no longer available on the Asset Store, however, I have created a small project that includes all these assets, and that yo ucan use with Unity 2022+;
You can download this project here.
The January sale has started today, and with it you will be able to buy any or all of my books or courses with a 50% discount.
To get your 50% discount:
- Use the coupon JANUARY2023SALE at the checkout for your pdf book (please see instructions below).
- Use the coupon 2023JANSALES at the checkout for your video course (please see instructions below).
I don’t do sales often, and I’m not sure when it will happen again, so do make sure that you avail of this opportunity today.
This sale is on for 48 hours; after that you will still be able to obtain my books, but this will be at the regular price.
How to Download Books
I have created a 50% discount coupon code that you can use on my website to download any book that may be relevant to you.
You can access all my books here.
The books that you can download cover a wide range of topics, to help you become better programmers and game developpers, including:
- Java Programming,
- C# Programming,
- Unity from Zero to Proficiency (Five Books)
- Godot from Zero to proficiency (Five Books)
- Artificial Intelligence,
- and much more.
To get your discounted books, you can do the following:
- Choose the book that you would like to add to your cart by clicking on it to see more details on that book.
- Once this is done, you should see that the discount has been applied.
- You can then add as many books as you wish before checking out and you will be able to avail of a 50% discount on the cart total.
How to Access your Discounted Courses
You can access all my video courses here.
The courses cover a wide range of topics, to help you become better programmers and game developpers, including:
- C# Programming.
- Artificial Intelligence.
- 3D Animation.
- Game Design.
To gain access to your discounted video course, you can do the following:
- Choose (i.e., click on) the book that you would like from the list of courses.
- Click on the button to “Enroll” the course.
- In the new window, enter the discount code 2023JANSALES
- The cart should now show the discount of 50%.
After you click on the “Buy Now button“, you should be able to start your course or to buy more courses discounted at 50% if you wish to do so.
The Book “Unity From Zero to Proficiency (Intermediate)” has been recently updated to include five additional chapters on Artificial Intelligence (see description below).
Accessing and Updating a Database
In this tutorial, we will learn how to interact with a database from Unity, using some simple but effective techniques.
After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand basic database concepts.
- Understand how online databases can be accessed through scripting.
- Understand how to access a database from Unity.
- Save and access information about a player.
Creating and moving the main character
In this section, we will start by creating an infinite runner game, a classic game genre on mobile devices; this game will have the following features:
- The player will have to avoid obstacles by jumping above them.
- Jumps will be performed when the player presses a key (for the web versions) or when s/he taps once on the right side of the device’s screen (for the Android version).
- The obstacles will come from the right side of the screen.
- If the player hits one of the obstacles, the game will be restarted.
- The player will have the option to pause the game.
- The score will increase with time.
So, after completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Create a simple infinite runner.
- Add simple controls to the main character.
- Generate obstacles randomly.
- Detect collisions.
- Create a simple environment with basic shapes.
Figure 1: The final game
In this post, we will create a simple card guessing game where the player has to remember a set of 20 cards and to match these cards based on their value.
After completing this post, you will be able to:
- Create a card game.
- Change the sprite of an object at run-time.
- Check when two cards picked by the player have the same value.
- Shuffle the cards.
In this section, we will go through some very simple steps to create the character that you will be using in Unity, including:
- Using Mixamo, a free online software, to select a character for your game.
- Animating your character in Mixamo.
- Exporting your animated character so that it can be used in Unity.
So, after completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Select your own 3D character.
- Select and apply different types of animations to your character.
- Export your character and the associated animations so these can be used in Unity for your game.