The new book on Godot, called “Godot From Zero to Proficiency (Proficient)” is Out.
This book includes a lot of information on how to create an RPG with Godot.
So, if you were ever interested in advancing your skills with Godot and GDScript and creating an RPG, then that’s the book you should definitely get today.
Godot From Zero to Proficiency (Proficient) is on a promotional offer at only $2.99 today
In this book, the fifth book in the series, you will become comfortable with creating your own RPG. If you were ever interested in creating systems for your game to speed up your coding and create and maintain levels easily, then this book is for you.
The book includes a list of the learning objectives at the start of each chapter, step-by-step activities, and quizzes to test your knowledge, and the content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 1 gives an introduction to the RPG genre. You will learn the design principles that will help you to speed up your development process.
- Chapter 2 helps you to create and animate your main 3D character, add a camera that will follow this character as well as a mini-map. You will also learn to use Godot’s buit-in 3D editor to create a village.
- Chapter 3 explains how to create a dialogue system from a JSON file and how to integrate it seamlessly into your game.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can create a simple inventory system and use it to collect, store, and use items that you will find in your quest.
- Chapter 5 shows you how to create a shop where the player can buy items that will then be added to the inventory.
- Chapter 6 explains how you can add intelligent NPCs that will challenge the player.
- Chapter 7 explains how you can create a quest system based on a JSON file to manage the objectives for each of your levels. You will learn to read, and use this file for your game.
- Chapter 8 explains how you can create an XP attribution system where the player can use the Xps gained in the previous level to increase his/her skills (e.g., accuracy, power, etc.)
- Chapter 9 combines the skills that you have learned so far to create a final level where the player needs to eliminate guards, collect gold, and also defeat the boss.
After reading this book you will become a better game programmer, improve your knowledge of coding and Godot, understand how to make a more complex game, learn some techniques to make an RPG game more modular, especially the quest system, use reusable code/assets that you can employ in your own game, create an inventory for your characters and much more…
If you want to get started with your first RPG in Godot and learn reusable systems for your other games, using a tried-and-tested method: download this book now!