A Beginner’s Guide to 2D Platform Games
Create 2D Platform Games and Learn to code in the Process
In this book, you will get started with creating a simple 2D platform game. The book provides an introduction to platform games , and it explains how to use C# in order to create an interactive environment. After completing this book you will be able to:
- Write code in C#
- Create a 2D platform game.
- Implement interesting game mechanics.
- Complete the game from start to finish with menus.
Topics covered in this book include:
- Moving a 2D character (e.g., walk, jump, etc).
- Creating Sprites.
- Creating and using prefabs.
- Creating a user interface.
- Using Physics Materials and 2D RigidBody components.
- Using Audio for background music or special effects.
- Creating UI elements (Buttons, Text, etc.).
- Managing score and number of lives.
- Detect when the character has fallen or been hit.
- Collecting objects.
- Managing collision.
- Moving platforms.
- Shaky bridge (falling steps)
- Magic doors (e.g., to simulate an escalator)
If you would like to start scripting with 2D platformers in Unity but do not know how, then this book should be very helpful. This is a perfect introduction to 2D game creation and it will provide you with solid foundations to understand and use C# to create simple 2D games.