Unity from Zero to Proficiency (Foundations)
||A stet-by-step guide to creating your first game
by Patrick Felicia
Newly Edited and Updated Version (Fourth Edition) for Unity 2019.
Get started with Unity and game programming fast without the headaches
Unity is a great software to create video games; however, it includes so many options and features that getting started can feel overwhelming.
Without my book, most people spend too long trying to learn how to use Unity the hard way. This book is the only one that will get you to learn Unity fast without wasting so much time. This book is the first book in the series "Unity from Zero to Proficiency" where you will learn to code fast and be able to create your own video games with Unity in no time.
What you will learn
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Know and master the features that you need to create 2D and 3D environments for your games.
- Quickly create (and navigate through) realistic 3D indoors and outdoors environments.
- Create a 3D Maze with lights, walls, and textures.
- Use ProBuilder to create a house.
- Create an island with trees, sandy beaches, mountains, and water.
- Include and control a car and a plane.
- Create a 2D platform game (with no scripting needed).
- Export your games to the web.
Who this book is for
This book is for:
- Hobbyists who need a book that gets them started with Unity and game development easily.
- Parents looking for a book that introduces their children to game programming painlessly.
- Teachers looking for a complete and clear resource on programming through the creation of games.
- Aspiring indie game developers.
How this book is different
This is the only book that you need to get started with Unity fast and to enjoy the journey without the frustration. This book includes six chapters that painlessly guide you through the necessary skills to master Unity’s interface, use its core features, and create and navigate through realistic 2D and 3D environments. It assumes no prior knowledge on your part and ensures that you have all the information and explanations that you need every step of the way.
What this book offers
This book includes all the features that you need to get started with Unity and game development:
- Learn without the headaches: This book assumes that you can’t be expected to learn everything at once; this is why you will build all your skills incrementally. In addition, if you are more of a visual learner, you will gain access to a FREE video training that covers all the topics and features introduced in the book so that you can see how it is done.
- Make your dream of creating your own games come true: This book ensures that you stay motivated by giving you the right amount of information and challenge in each chapter; we all know that it’s hard to keep motivated when learning a new skill, so this book always contextualizes the knowledge with an example (so that you feel it’s relevant), and also makes sure that you get to challenge yourself, if you need to, with optional challenges present at the end of each chapter.
- Progress and feel confident in your skills: You will have the opportunity to learn and to use Unity at your own pace and to become comfortable with its interface. This is because every single new concept introduced will be explained in great detail so that you never feel lost. All the concepts are introduced progressively so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Create your own games and feel awesome: With this book, you will build your own 2D and 3D environments and you will spend more time creating than reading, to ensure that you can apply the concepts covered in each section. All chapters include step-by-step instructions with examples that you can use straight-away.
If you want to get started with Unity today, then buy this book now
– DK (Reader, Amazon.com)
"I have been doing web development for many years using c# and have always wanted to get into video games… I decided to buy this book because I was interested in the content. Turns out it was a great buy"
– Ryan (Reader, Amazon.com)
"I’m 18 years now and have been procrastinating to start learning game development and coding since years. I was advised by a teacher to look for a book instead of youtube videos to start, as it will be much detailed and easier to follow. I would say that this book really met if not exceed my expectations. It opened me up to this world"
– Sayed (Reader, Amazon.com)
"Pat’s books are resource for teaching students what they need to know to be successful without overwhelming them with too much information they don’t need right away."
– Roy Thelin (Reader, Amazon.com)
"Being a programmer for the last 25 years of back-end communications and data services, this was a great way to start to get my feet wet in the gaming side of the world"
– Scott (Reader, Amazon.com)
"Best book on getting started with Unity I have found. And I have read more than a few others that didn’t help. Definitely start here"
– Andrew McNutt (Reader, Amazon.com)
" I bought this series to use in the high school games programming course I teach. It works for kids starting with nothing to kids that have been in Unity for a couple of years. With this series a teacher with no background in Unity can offer the kids a viable course. I would recommend being a chapter or two ahead of the kids if you are going to teach this."
– Gunny (Reader, Amazon.com)
"I like to keep learning new things in my retirement. This book is a good walkthrough to get you started with the Foundations of Unity Programming. …I’m getting ready to start the second book, Beginners, and can’t wait to get into the scripting. I used to be able to code several computer languages and am looking forward to getting back to working in C+."
– Wee Ho Tan, PhD, Lecturer at Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)