Unity 5 From Zero to Proficiency (Advanced)
Create Multiplayer Games and Procedural Levels, and Boost Game Performances
** Available from Amazon on 17th October 2016 **
In this book, which is the last in the series, you will go from Intermediate to Advanced and get to work on more specific topics to improve your games and their performances. After completing this book, you should be able to:
- Create a (networked) multi-player game.
- Access Databases from Unity
- Understand and apply key design patterns for game development.
- Use your time more efficiently to create games
- Structure and manage a Unity project efficiently.
- Optimize game performances.
- Optimize the structure of your game
- Create levels procedurally.
Topics covered in this book include:
- C# code optimization
- Procedural level generation
- File & Database Access
- Design Patterns
- Game Profiling & Optimization
- Online database access
- XML file parsing from Unity
- Occlusion Culling
- Texture packing
- Memory Management & Garbage Collection
- Chapter 1, Reading Files and Creating Scenes Procedurally, gets you to create your scenes fast using a wide range of advanced techniques so that you can create your scene using text or image files and read them at run time without the need to add objects manually to your scene. It is also illustrated how these techniques can be used for data visualization by combining advanced C# coding and XML files.
- Chapter 2, Accessing and Updating a Database, helps you to understand how to transfer data between Unity and a database. It explains how to create your database, and how to access it through the use of a combination of C#, PHP and MySQL.
- Chapter 3, Creating a Networked multi-player game, explains and illustrates how you can create a simple network game. You will use UNET, Unity’s built-in networking features and create a simple tank game where two remote users can challenge each other in the same game.
- Chapter 4, Optimizing your Project, your Code and your Game Performances, explains how you can optimize your time and your game, using simple, yet efficient, steps. In this chapter you will learn how to avoid common issues that could slow down your game; you will learn how to identify and choose best coding practices to make your code more efficient, along with some tricks that you can use in Unity to boost the performances of your game.
- Chapter 5 provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the topics covered in this book (e.g., networking, databases, procedural content generation or optimization).
- Chapter 6 summarizes the topics covered in the book and provides you with more information on the next steps.