Unity From Zero to Proficiency (Intermediate)
||A step-by-step guide to programming your games with Unity
by Patrick Felicia
Newly Edited and Updated Version (Third Edition) for Unity 2019
Learn C# with Unity, and create a full FPS game without the headaches
Without this book, most people spend too long trying to learn C# with Unity the hard way. This book is the only one that will get you to learn Unity fast without wasting so much time. It includes twelve chapters that painlessly teach you the necessary skills to create an FPS game and to learn intermediate C# and Unity techniques.
What you will learn
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Use Unity’s built-in methods.
- Use Rigidbody physics to propel airborne objects.
- Use a Finite State Machine to create intelligent NPCs.
- Manage 3D animations for the NPCs.
- Create NPCs who can chase the player.
- Create and manage weapons and ammunition for the player.
- Create a 2D scrolling shooter.
- Create a card-guessing game.
- Create a 2D puzzle game.
Content and structure of this book
The content of the books is as follows:
- In Chapter 1, you will learn key C# programming concepts such as variables, variable types, polymorphism, or constructors.
- In Chapter 2, you will code and compile your first script in C#.
- In Chapter 3, you will create a simple 3D game where the user has to reach the end of the level by avoiding projectiles from intelligent robots.
- In Chapter 4, you will create a gun and a grenade launcher that the player can use to defeat enemies.
- In Chapter 5, you will start to use Mecanim and NavMesh navigation to control an animated character that detects, follows, or attacks the player.
- In Chapter 6, you will combine the skills that you have acquired in the previous chapters to create a fully functional level where the player needs to escape a level full of armed NPCs. You will also learn how to generate a game level dynamically from your code.
- In Chapter 7, you will create a simple 2D scrolling shooter.
- In Chapter 8, you will improve your game by adding explosions and a scrolling background.
- In Chapter 9, you will add intelligent spaceships that attack the player.
- In Chapter 10, you will include a shield to the player’s spaceship, along with other interesting features (e.g., sound FX, a scoring system, etc).
- In Chapter 11, you will create a card-guessing game.
- In Chapter 12, you will create a 2D puzzle game.
- Chapter 13 summarizes the topics covered in the book.
If you want to create FPS games, 2D Shooters, Card Games and Puzzles with Unity using a tried-and-tested method: download this book now!
" Due to Pat’s incredible ability to convey technical knowledge in an easy-to-understand manner, I’ve chosen this book to teach my second course in Unity 3D at one of my educational institutions. In addition to his books, he also provides continuing education to his readers on Thursdays. One could easily say his customers get their money’s worth."
– PuppyWuppy, Amazon Reader
"This resource is the next step in the game development process for my online students desiring an on-hands approach to game programming. The introduction of Artificial Intelligence gives them more opportunity to expand the efficiency of their games as well as enhance player experience. In this resource, as in other Unity from Zero to Proficiency resources, the student has the opportunity to use critical thinking to explore their ideas through the use of the challenges that exist at the end of each chapter. They will also have a foundation for exploring the mastery of Artificial Intelligence that is available through Unity from Proficiency to Mastery: Artificial Intelligence"
– Mae Tacke, Amazon Reader
"Awesome book, really got me started on a new hobby. I’ve had some programming experience back in the day, but this helped me get into a very interesting world. Will be jumping into the next level books for sure as I progress."
– Valerie Slack, Amazon Reader
"This group of books helped me enormously to get a grip on Unity which was new to me. Unity is an awesome program but it’s enormous!!! And navigating your way around as a newbie can be very overwhelming even with all Unity’s own learning aids. Pat’s books really helped anchor me and add to my knowledge in a methodical way which I could actually remember. And I started to get much less intimidated with C#. You don’t necessarily need to know that language to use Unity but I found it very useful to be able to understand and amend the scripts I was getting from the store. It gave me another degree of creative freedom"
– Gillian Hannington, Amazon Reader
"This is the third book in Patrick’s series teaching the Unity Game Engine. He builds on what his previous books started. He explains what you are learning in easy to follow tutorials that build on each other to create a basic first-person shooter. The books in this series have helped me understand Unity better and helped me create some basic games on my own. I highly recommend this book and the whole series. I cannot wait for the next book."
– John, Amazon reader
"This book continues the amazing progress of the previous books. I can wait to read the next one. My favorite part was the Mechanim. Very well explained and the resources of this book are fantastic. Continue the good work…"
"I really enjoyed this book because it broke down each topic into visual steps that I needed in order to get a grasp of the material … "