Godot from Zero to Proficiency (Advanced)
||A step-by-step guide to coding advanced games
by Patrick Felicia
Get started with Godot and game programming fast without the headaches
Godot is a great software to create video games; however, it includes so many options and features that getting started can feel overwhelming.
Without my book, most people spend too long trying to learn how to use Godot and GDScript the hard way. This book is the only one that will get you to learn GDScript fast without wasting so much time. It is the third book in the series “Godot from Zero to Proficiency” where you will learn to code fast and be able to create your own video games with Godot in no time.
What you will learn
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Learn advanced GDScript concepts
- Create scenes fast using procedural generation
- Update and access a database from your game.
- Create a networked multiplayer.
- Create a 2D platform game with common game mechanics.
- Create a clone of the famous Simon game.
Who this book is for
This book is for:
- Hobbyists who need a book that gets them to be proficient with GDScript and game development easily.
- Parents looking for a book that introduces their children to game programming painlessly.
- Teachers looking for a complete and clear resource on programming through the creation of games.
- Aspiring indie game developers.
How this book is different
This is the only book that you need to learn advanced skills with Godot fast and to enjoy the journey without frustration. This book includes six chapters that painlessly guide you through the necessary skills to master GDScript, use Godot’s core features, and create key game mechanics through GDScript. It assumes no prior knowledge on your part and ensures that you have all the information and explanations that you need every step of the way.
Content of the book
- Chapter 1 shows you how to create scenes from your code using text files, arrays, and JSON.
- Chapter 2 explains how you can access and update a database using a combination of GDScript, PHP, and SQL to save players’ scores.
- Chapter 3 gets you to create a multi-player game using Godot’s built-in network API.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can create a memory game based on the famous Simon game, where the player has to memorize an increasing sequence of colors and sounds.
- Chapter 5 explains how to create a platformer with animated 2D characters, 2D movement, gravity, parallax effects, climbing ladders, magic doors, and tilesets.
- Chapter 6 Provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
What this book offers
- Learn without the headaches: This book assumes that you can’t be expected to learn everything at once; this is why you will build all your skills incrementally.
- Make your dream of creating your own games come true: This book ensures that you stay motivated by giving you the right amount of information and challenge in each chapter; we all know that it’s hard to keep motivated when learning a new skill, so this book always contextualizes the knowledge with an example (so that you feel it’s relevant), and also makes sure that you get to challenge yourself, if you need to, with optional challenges present at the end of each chapter.
- Progress and feel confident in your skills: You will have the opportunity to learn and to use Godot at your own pace and to become comfortable with its interface. This is because every single new concept introduced will be explained in great detail so that you never feel lost. All the concepts are introduced progressively so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.
If you want to get started with Godot today, then buy this book now