Godot from Zero to Proficiency (Intermediate)
|A stet-by-step guide to coding your first fps game
by Patrick Felicia
Get started with Godot and game programming fast without the headaches
Godot is a great software to create video games; however, it includes so many options and features that getting started can feel overwhelming.
Without my book, most people spend too long trying to learn how to use Godot and GDScript the hard way. This book is the only one that will get you to learn GDScript fast without wasting so much time. It is the third book in the series “Godot from Zero to Proficiency” where you will learn to code fast and be able to create your own video games with Godot in no time.
What you will learn
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Learn intermediate GDScript concepts including: timers, ray-casting, templates, co-routines, match structures, functions, loops, classes, enums.
- Create intelligent robots that target and shoot at the player.
- Create a weapon management system where the player avails of and can switch between weapons.
- Create an FPS game where the player has to defeat intelligent enemies and escape a space station
- Create intelligent NPCs who can navigate, detect and follow the player, and use weapons.
- Import and control 3D-animated characters from your scripts.
Who this book is for
This book is for:
- Hobbyists who need a book that gets them to be proficient with GDScript and game development easily.
- Parents looking for a book that introduces their children to game programming painlessly.
- Teachers looking for a complete and clear resource on programming through the creation of games.
- Aspiring indie game developers.
How this book is different
This is the only book that you need to get started with Godot fast and to enjoy the journey without the frustration. This book includes six chapters that painlessly guide you through the necessary skills to master GDScript, use Godot’s core features, and create key game mechanics through GDScript. It assumes no prior knowledge on your part and ensures that you have all the information and explanations that you need every step of the way.
Content of the book
- Chapter 1 shows you how you can create robots that will target the player.
- Chapter 2 explains how you can create a weapon management system, collect ammunitions, switch between weapons and hit targets using ray-casting.
- Chapter 3 gets you to create NPCs who can detect, the player, chase the player, patrol around the level, and inflict damage to the player through punches or gun shots.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can improve the NPCs’ intelligence so that they can follow a given path, and avoid obstacles along the way.
- Chapter 5 provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
What this book offers
- Learn without the headaches: This book assumes that you can’t be expected to learn everything at once; this is why you will build all your skills incrementally.
- Make your dream of creating your own games come true: This book ensures that you stay motivated by giving you the right amount of information and challenge in each chapter; we all know that it’s hard to keep motivated when learning a new skill, so this book always contextualizes the knowledge with an example (so that you feel it’s relevant), and also makes sure that you get to challenge yourself, if you need to, with optional challenges present at the end of each chapter.
- Progress and feel confident in your skills: You will have the opportunity to learn and to use Godot at your own pace and to become comfortable with its interface. This is because every single new concept introduced will be explained in great detail so that you never feel lost. All the concepts are introduced progressively so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.
If you want to get started with Godot today, then buy this book now