Godot from Zero to Proficiency (Beginner)
|A stet-by-step guide to coding your first game
by Patrick Felicia
Get started with Godot and game programming fast without the headaches
Godot is a great software to create video games; however, it includes so many options and features that getting started can feel overwhelming.
Without my book, most people spend too long trying to learn how to use Godot and GDScript the hard way. This book is the only one that will get you to learn GDScript fast without wasting so much time. This book is the second book in the series “Godot from Zero to Proficiency” where you will learn to code fast and be able to create your own video games with Godot in no time.
What you will learn
After completing this book, you will be able to:
- Code in GDScript.
- Understand and apply GDScript concepts.
- Create a 3D adventure game with the main character, a timer, and a mini-map.
- Display and update a user interface with text and images.
- Create and use variables and methods for your game.
- Load new scenes from the code, based on events in your games.
Who this book is for
This book is for:
- Hobbyists who need a book that gets them started with GDScript and game development easily.
- Parents looking for a book that introduces their children to game programming painlessly.
- Teachers looking for a complete and clear resource on programming through the creation of games.
- Aspiring indie game developers.
How this book is different
This is the only book that you need to get started with Godot fast and to enjoy the journey without the frustration. This book includes six chapters that painlessly guide you through the necessary skills to master GDScript, use Godot’s core features, and create key game mechanics through GDScript (collisions, user interface, etc). It assumes no prior knowledge on your part and ensures that you have all the information and explanations that you need every step of the way.
Content of the book
- Chapter 1 introduces some core programming and GDScript principles.
- Chapter 2 helps you to code your first script in GDScript.
- Chapter 3 gets you to improve your scripting skills, enhance your game and add more interaction with a scoring system, collision detection, and access to new levels.
- Chapter 4 shows you how to create and update the user interface of your game with text and images.
- Chapter 5 shows you how to enhance your game with a splash-screen, a simple inventory system, and sound effects, as well as a mini-map.
What this book offers
- Learn without the headaches: This book assumes that you can’t be expected to learn everything at once; this is why you will build all your skills incrementally.
- Make your dream of creating your own games come true: This book ensures that you stay motivated by giving you the right amount of information and challenge in each chapter; we all know that it’s hard to keep motivated when learning a new skill, so this book always contextualizes the knowledge with an example (so that you feel it’s relevant), and also makes sure that you get to challenge yourself, if you need to, with optional challenges present at the end of each chapter.
- Progress and feel confident in your skills: You will have the opportunity to learn and to use Godot at your own pace and to become comfortable with its interface. This is because every single new concept introduced will be explained in great detail so that you never feel lost. All the concepts are introduced progressively so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.
If you want to get started with Godot today, then buy this book now