Unity From Zero to Proficiency (Proficient)
||Create your very own RPG and learn more C# in the process.
by Patrick Felicia
First Edition, Published in September 2019
In this book, the fifth book in the series, you will become comfortable with creating your own RPG. If you were ever interested in creating systems for your game to speed-up your coding and create and maintain levels easily, then this book is for you.
The book includes a list of the learning objectives at the start of each chapter, step-by-step activities, and quizzes to test your knowledge, and the content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 1 gives an introduction to the RPG genre. You will learn the design principles that will help you to speed-up your development process.
- Chapter 2 helps you to create and animate your main 3D character, add a camera that will follow this character as well as a mini-map. You will also learn to use ProBuilder to create a village.
- Chapter 3 explains how to create a dialogue system from an XML file, and how to integrate it seamlessly into your game.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can create a simple inventory system and use it to collect, store, and use items that you will find in your quest.
- Chapter 5 shows you how to create a shop where the player can buy items that will then be added to the inventory.
- Chapter 6 explains how you can create different types of animated and intelligent NPCs that will challenge the player.
- Chapter 7 explains how you can create a quest system based on an XML file to manage the objectives for each of your levels. You will learn to read, and use this file for your game.
- Chapter 8 explains how you can create an XP attribution system where the player can use the Xps gained in the previous level to increase his/her skills (e.g., accuracy, power, etc.)
- Chapter 9 shows you how you can create a maze randomly using a procedural method so that the maze is different every time the game is played.
- Chapter 10 combines the skills that you have learned so far to create a final level where the player needs to eliminate guards, collect gold, and also defeat the boss.
After reading this book you will become a better game programmer, improve your knowledge of coding and unity, understand how to make a more complex product, learn some techniques to make an RPG game more modular, especially the quest system, use reusable code/assets that you can employ in your own game, create an inventory for your characters and much more…
If you want to get started with your first RPG in Unity and learn reusable systems for your other games, using a tried-and-tested method: download this book now!
“I highly recommend this book as it is very flowing and keeps you at a sready pace. The completed project is very nice.
It does require a little knowledge of Unity itself as it is halfway through a series.
All in all, if you want to learn Unity then this book and the rest of the series are the book/s for you.”
– Mr P D Aston (Amazon reader)
“Just good to get to know the language successfully. Good guide, relatively well explained”
– Mik H (Amazon reader)