Unity from Proficiency to Mastery: Artificial Intelligence
||Implement challenging AI for FPS and RPG games|
In this book, which is the first in the series Unity from Proficiency to Mastery, you will get to master a wide range of AI techniques that you can apply to make non-player characters more realistic, and also add some more challenge to your game.
What you will Learn
After completing this book you will be able to:
- Import and animate a 3D character
- Control the navigation of this 3D character
- Control animations for this character through scripting
- Make it possible for the NPC to sense the player (e.g., smell, sight, or hearing) and to take decisions accordingly
- Implement a decision system for Non-Player Characters
- Master NavMesh Navigation and Finite-State Machines in Unity
- Manage groups of NPCs and synchronize their decisions
Topics covered in this book:
Topics covered in this book include:
- Navmesh Navigation
- Navigating along a path
- Managing a group of NPCs
- Using Areas and costs
- Defining areas where the NPC can and cannot go
- Way Points Navigation
- Random Paths
- Wandering behaviour/navigation)
- Finite State Machines
- Sub-State Machines
- State transitions and Parameters
- Simulating senses (smell, hearing, sight)
- Simulating common behaviours for Non-Player Characters (hiding, fleeing, ambushing, attacking
- Make it possible for NPCs to make smart decisions (e.g., look for health or ammos when needed, or hide from the player when needed
- Coordinating a team of allies/teams (e.g., decisions, navigation, attacks, etc)
- Coordinating a team of enemies (e.g., decisions, navigation, attacks, etc)
- Simulating a crowd
- Melee Combat
- A step-by-step approach with examples and plenty of pictures to know exactly what to do.
- Tips to maximize your workflow.
- Quizzes to tests your knowledge at the end of each chapter.
- Challenges to use and perfect your skills at the end of each chapter.
- A section with answers to frequently asked questions organized by themes (e.g., navigation, object creation, interface, etc.)